Campingcar Besinov UBS AG THE WORLD WIDE OFFSHORE SCANDAL
WELCOME IN MY POTAL

Campingcar Besinov UBS AG THE WORLD WIDE OFFSHORE SCANDAL

THE SWISS CRIMES BEHIND THE NEUTRAL FACADE & THE CRIMES WITH THE GLOBAL RESOURCES

RegisterEventsSearchPublicationsPICS & CONTACTHomeLog inGallery

Lundin Tunisia B.V. v. Tunisian Republic

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 5865
Birthday : 1952-04-20
Registration date : 2007-04-25

Lundin Tunisia B.V. v. Tunisian Republic Empty
PostSubject: Lundin Tunisia B.V. v. Tunisian Republic   Lundin Tunisia B.V. v. Tunisian Republic I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Lundin Tunisia B.V. v. Tunisian Republic (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/30) Excerpts of Award dated December 22, 2015 made pursuant to Rule 48(4) of the ICSID Arbitration Rules of 2006 Claimant Lundin Tunisia B.V. (a Dutch corporation) Respondent Tunisian Republic (“Tunisia”) Tribunal Professor Azzedine Kettani (Moroccan), President, appointed by the Chairman of the Administrative Council of ICSID pursuant to Article 38 of the ICSID Convention Professor Emmanuel Gaillard (French), appointed by the Claimant Ms. Anna Joubin-Bret (French), appointed by the Respondent Award Award of December 22, 2015 in French. Instrument relied on for consent to ICSID arbitration Concession Contract Procedure Applicable Arbitration Rules: ICSID Arbitration Rules of 2006 Place of Proceedings: Washington, D.C. Procedural Language: French Full procedural details: Available at http://www.worldbank.org/icsid Factual Background In the 1970’s, Claimant’s predecessor was granted concession rights regarding an off-shore oil field. After the concession was established, Tunisia exercised its right under the concession contract to acquire a portion of the concession rights and decided to hold them through a Public Entity, the debt of which Tunisia guaranteed. Further to the closure of concession site by Claimant, Tunisia initiated tax proceedings against Claimant. Claimant initiated ICSID proceedings on the basis of the arbitration clause of the concession contract while local tax proceedings were pending. Some claims related to the contributions allegedly owed by the Public Entity, other claims related to various tax issues. Claimant initiated also another proceeding Lundin Tunsia B.V. v. Republic of Tunisia (ICSID Case No. ARB/13/15). The claims of the ICSID Case No. ARB/13/15 were admitted in this proceeding as additional claims on September 30, 2014 and the ICSID Case No. ARB/13/15 was discontinued. On Respondent’s preliminary objection under Arbitration Rule 41(5), the Tribunal held on January 6, 2014 that Claimant had not waived its right to arbitration by initiating local court proceedings and that whether the tax dispute could qualify as an investment dispute would be addressed with the merits On jurisdiction, the Tribunal held that the investment in this case consisted in (i) the research and production pursuant to the concession contract, and (ii) the transfer of the platform from one concession site to the other. As a consequence, Tunisia’s argument that its guarantee of the Public Entity’s debt fell outside of the Tribunal’s jurisdiction lacked basis, because the guarantee could not be regarded as constituting the investment itself. Respondent submitted that the Tribunal had no jurisdiction over tax disputes. The Tribunal found that the ICSID Convention refers to “legal disputes” which captures disputes of any nature. It added that Tunisia made no reservation under Article 25(4) of the ICSID Convention when joining ICSID and that the concession contract did not carve out tax disputes from its dispute resolution clause. Finally, in the absence of specific “fork in the road” language in the ICSID Convention or the concession contract, the Tribunal held that Claimant’s actions before Tunisian tax courts did not waive any right to ICSID arbitration. On the merits, the Tribunal held inter alia that Tunisia had granted a first demand guarantee (“garantie à première demande”), not a personal guarantee (“cautionnement”) (a personal guarantee would have required to first unsuccessfully seek enforcement against the Public Entity before pursuing payment from the guarantor). The Tribunal held that Tunisia was liable for the Public Entity’s debt. On damages, the Tribunal inter alia rejected Respondent’s claim for moral damages and punitive damages. The Tribunal granted interest on the sums awarded to Claimant at the rate provided for by Tunisian legislation. The Tribunal ordered each party to bear half of the procedural costs and their respective representation costs. *** Lundin Tunisia B.V. c. République tunisienne (Affaire CIRDI ARB/12/30) EXTRAITS CENTRE INTERNATIONAL POUR LE REGLEMENT DES DIFFERENDS RELATIFS AUX INVESTISSEMENTS Lundin Tunisia B.V. c. République tunisienne (Affaire CIRDI ARB/12/30) SENTENCE Tribunal arbitral M. le professeur Azzedine Kettani, Président du Tribunal arbitral M. le professeur Emmanuel Gaillard, Arbitre Me Anna Joubin-Bret, Arbitre Secrétaire du Tribunal arbitral Mme Aurélia Antonietti Date d’envoi aux parties: le 22 décembre 2015 i REPRÉSENTATION DES PARTIES La Demanderesse est représentée par : M. Jeffrey Fountain Lundin Petroleum SA 5, chemin de la Pallanterie 1222 Vésenaz Suisse et Me Othman Ben Fadhel Me Chérifa Ben Fadhel Cabinet BEN FADHEL & Associés 67, rue Alain Savary Jardins II, A3.3 Bloc A, 3ème étage 1002 Tunis Belvédère Tunisie et Me Jacob Grierson Me Sabine Naugès McDermott Will & Emery 23, rue de l’Université 75007 Paris France La Défenderesse est représentée par: M. Kamel Hedhili Chef du Contentieux de l’Etat Ministère des Domaines de l’Etat et des Affaires Foncières Direction Générale du contentieux de l’Etat 6, rue du Nigéria Tunis Tunisie et Me Ahmed Ouerfelli Ouerfelli Attorneys & Counsels Immeuble Tour des Bureaux 2 ème étage, bureau no 4 Centre Urbain Nord Tunis 1082 Tunisie Lundin Tunisia B.V. c. République tunisienne (Affaire 
Back to top Go down
http://www.campingcarbesinov.com

Lundin Tunisia B.V. v. Tunisian Republic
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Campingcar Besinov UBS AG THE WORLD WIDE OFFSHORE SCANDAL :: LA FRANCE & MAZARS PROMOTION LUNDIN TUNESIA/NIGERIA-
Jump to: